The Sanctuary of the Madonna was called the Cantone because it was erected near the corner or canton of the apse of the Cathedral. Its date of foundation seems to date back to 1400, when it was designed for devotion to the image of Madonna delle Grazie.
Inside the sanctuary were four lunettes in oil on canvas and made by the famous painter, Silvestro Lega. These represent respectively the pestilence, war, famine and earthquake, all hazardous from the country through the intercession of our Lady. The paintings were moved to the former Diocese of Modigliana, to be kept in a more secure place.