The nucleus of S. Maria in Girone, dating back to the year one thousand, underwent a complete restoration in the mid-1700s. The complex stands on the summit of Portico, on a rocky spur called Girone where the Guidi family’s castle was located. The church, originally, served as the castle’s chapel. Later it was demolished and then rebuilt with the title of pieve.
The structure is built following the typical Tuscan architectural style and consists of a nave with side chapels. The Parish houses valuable paintings of the Romagna school dating back to 1700: Madonna col Bambino e San Francesco e Santa Lucia,, a Ultima Cena, Madonna col Bambino e San Giacomo e San Vincenzo, l’annuncio dell’Angelo a San Giuseppe.