The four bastions, were a fundamental part of the protection system of the city-fortress of Terra Del Sole and represent a remarkable example of defense fortification. Their construction dates back to the period between 1564 and 1579.
The corner ramparts Santa Maria (to the north-east), San Martino (to the south-east), Santa Reparata (to the northwest), Sant’Andrea (to the south-west) are the four fortifications that made up the walls. The so-called “casematte” tunnels, the tunnels reserved for the transit of soldiers and the transfer of artillery are well preserved in their interiors. The bastion of S. Reparata has recently undergone a restoration of the entire façade.