The remains of the Roman city of Mevaniola are located near the village of Pianetto, not far from Galeata.
Probably, in the pre-Roman age, this area was inhabited by Umbrian populations and little is known of the subsequent settlement phase by the Romans. The archaeological excavations, in fact, have allowed to identify structures mainly attributable to the late Republican age (1st century BC).
This site was identified in 1934 by Monsignor Mambrini, following the random finding of some remains of Roman mosaics in the monastery of Galeata. The first excavations date back to 1948-49 when some sections of walls and remains of floors were brought to light. In a second time a well was found, a canal formed by slabs, some marble bases and the famous iron keys, a purely symbolic artefact. On the other side of the road a thermal plant has been found with a heated environment, pools and a large unheated room that is thought to be the frigidarium.