Church of the souls of Purgatory
Piazza Garibaldi, Rocca San Casciano
Parish of San Casciano
tel/fax: +39 0543 960203
The Chiesa del Suffragio, also known as the “Church of the souls of Purgatory”, is located in the central Piazza Garibaldi and dates back to the reconstruction period after the devastating earthquake of 1661. In the past it was the seat of various brotherhoods including that of the Sacred Stigmata and Mercy.
Today it has become a precious treasure chest of what remains of the Sacred Art of the country. The façade is decorated with a terracotta bas-relief by Rocchigiano Giuseppe Frattagli, which depicts a boat in the stormy sea and a stained glass window depicting San Cassiano.
Inside there are paintings, statues, bas-reliefs and frescoes from the country parishes (Calbola, Berleta, San Donnino) and the ancient church destroyed by the earthquake of 1661.
Among the works preserved there stands a round in glazed ceramic work attributed to Andrea della Robbia and coming from the Abbey of San Donnino in Soglio. The Virgin is depicted in the act of adoration of the Child; on her right there is Saint John, on the left three angels holding a fluttering ribbon with the words: “Verbum caro factum est” and musical notes.
The figures are white while the background color is a beautiful blue. A branch of green palm and lilies enrich the scene, enclosed by a multicolored garland of flowers and fruit.
The Church of the Suffrage, in recent years, hosts at Christmas time the exhibition of ancient Cribs curated by Piero and Daniela Frassineti.
Credits: Author Avv. Elisa Rabiti