Church of the Franciscan Friars
Via Cairoli next to the Town Hall
The Church together with the ancient Library are the only remaining evidence of the presence of the Franciscan Friars of Rocca San Casciano. The latter, in fact, definitely left the country at the beginning of the 90s when the last friar, Father Vico, was transferred to the Hermitage of Montepaolo in Dovadola. Subsequently the Convent was purchased by the Municipality of Rocca San Casciano.
The first idea of building a Franciscan Convent in Rocca San Casciano came to Bishop Mons. Vincenzo Cavallo, who visited in 1676, noted that many Rocchigiani were kept away from the Sacrament of Confession because the priests were all native people of the place.
The foundation of the new House of Saint Francis was established, after a few decades of discussions, by Grand Ducal Decree of 9 July 1700.
The ancient Brotherhood of SS. Sacramento was dissolved and its assets, a small church with the annexed hospice of 4 rooms, passed to the Friars.
The Friars bought some adjacent land and demolished the Church to build a new one and a Convent (now used as RSA) that were comfortable and of sufficient size. In 1715 a whole family of No. 12 Friars lived there.
The Church is dedicated to God and to the “Exalted Queen of the Angels conceived without original sin” as can be read in a plaque placed under the altar dated 1754.
Inside it has a single nave, with two side altars and at the end of the building, behind the altar, stands the ancient pipe organ also dating back to 1700.
The left side altar leads to a small cave dedicated to San Francesco.
Credits: Author Avv. Elisa Rabiti